Wednesday, November 27, 2013

                                                            Thanksgiving 2013

 I was watching the local news last evening- when the Story about the US Embassy serving dinner to the Homeless came on. It was followed by a report on how Americans spend Thanksgiving in the United States today. All of a sudden they showed videos of BLACK FRIDAY, saying it's a day when Americans rush to the stores pushing,shoving,biting and hitting people to grab an item for a few dollars off. Hundreds of people are hurt every year trying to get to a popular item before anyone else. Even if it means the disgusting behavior you may perform to get it! "Its a far cry from what we experienced from the US Embassy here today."
 I have to tell you that I was applaud. Not by the misinterpretation they have of Americans; but by the FACT that the story rang true.
 When I was growing up in the small town of Freedom, Thanksgiving was always a Holiday that I looked forward to. I knew that I would get to spend the whole day eating yummy food and playing with my cousins that I didn't get to see very often. The WHOLE Family would show up at Mimi and Pappy's house, everyone would bring a dish and a dessert and we would all be together; if only for one day the entire year. The excitement in the house was almost overwhelming, all the love and attention it was so warm and comfortable. If only for a day- we were family. We loved each other. "unbreakable" I remember being sad whenever the first family would leave because I knew that we wouldn't be all together in that house until next Thanksgiving. I'm very lucky, because I still have the memories of Holidays past. One of the most difficult things about growing up and moving away was, and is never being able to do that that again. It was always important for me to create wonderful memories for our children, and I truely hope we did! 
 I PRAY that every American will bring those days back to their families, get together if only for ONE day a year, teach your children and grandchildren about giving and being thankful. Let them know that no matter how old they are- they can make a positive impact in someone life. Teach them how important it is to be a FAMILY.     Its  NOT about shopping.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment