Wednesday, February 9, 2011

31 Years

I met him one summer night at a dance in Maine. My Brother, cousin Buddy, Larry Dakin and Wayne Manning had put together a little "rock band" ..they were playing that night and my BFF Darlene Pelkey and I were taking money and stamping hands in the ticket window. We were 14 and quite sure we knew everything in life! As always; after the rush came a lull and there was a cute boy sitting under the window "I only saw the top of his head" but had to tell Darlene! Her reply? "I dare you to ask him to dance". Now being "dared" was something that you just HAD to do- so I reached down, tapped him on the head and when he looked up I asked him if he wanted to dance {his eyes were amazing} He said sure and I walked around to meet him. Being 5'4, when I walked around the corner and saw him standing there- my first thought was: holy crap...could he BE any taller!?! That one dance was the beginning. We dated on and off all through High School, he lived in Searsmont and I lived in Freedom so we attended different schools but even when we dated other people- if I had a problem I would always call him first..he became my best friend.
It seemed that no-matter what happened in our lives, we always found our way back to each other....even then- I knew someday... So here we are 30-plus years later; three wonderful boys, two daughter-in-laws and three grandchildren {so far}...we have a wonderful life traveling around the world together and creating tons of memories. Sometimes when I'm asked: "If you could do it all over again, what would you change?" Well, other than getting my husband to pick up his dirty clothes..... I'd still do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment