Sunday, October 3, 2010

Memories of Grammy

 Fall is also the time of year that takes me back to Maine. I remember when my brother and I were little, my Grandmother would call us to the kitchen table in the afternoon for one of her homemade treats. In October almost everything was made with apples, the back yard was full of baskets of all different types of apples, pumpkins and squash; and nothing was better than coming into a warm kitchen to a glass of fresh apple cider and warm homemade Spiced Doughnuts! 
I also remember learning to cook from Grammy,Auntie and my Mom...every Sunday was baking day- where enough "sweets" were made for the week ahead. I was taught to cook with a vocabulary of "pinch, dash and dollop" it wouldn't be until Jr.High when I would learn to convert those words into measurements. I love making these doughnuts while remembering the warm conversations and laughter in that little Country Kitchen.
                                                                Spiced Doughnuts
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
5 tablespoons shortening, melted
4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
                    Add sugar, milk and shortening to beaten eggs. Sift flour before measuring, then re-sift with baking powder, spices and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture..stir until blended. Refrigerate dough for 1/2 hour. Roll dough 1/4-inch thick and cut into desired shapes. Fry in Crisco @375 about 3 minutes, first on one side- then the other. Place on paper towels to cool. Sprinkle with sugar if you wish. Makes about 30. 
I usually double this recipe because Rich likes to take them into work and share. They also freeze well in airtight bags.

1 comment:

  1. Tess and I might have to try this one. Doughnuts are her favorite food after steak.

    ReplyDelete